Friday, December 28, 2012

And there goes the power...

This morning I was woken up by everyone talking in the kitchen. Oh, the joys of the downstairs bed room! But what I discovered is that the bed is SUPER comfortable. Figures, right? I finally got up at 10:40 am ish. We had cereal with berries in it while we devised our plan for the day. We took showers and I dried and straightened my hair - something I never do at the beach!

Mom and I left for the post office. There was a letter from my pen pal Mary in the mailbox I noticed before we left! I got one from Lindsay yesterday. We mailed off the rest of my holiday cards and got more stamps. Dad and Michael met us at the post office and we ate lunch at the Pilot House. It was delicious. I had grouper fish tacos and mom and dad had a grouper burger and a pastrami sandwich. Michael had a grouper basket with seasoned fries and we swapped. It was so yum, I can't wait to go back. And the best part? I had won a gift card there on the Exit Zero Facebook Page. It was supposed to have $30 on it, but it had $50 and it paid for our whole meal!

Afterwards we went shopping. At Henry's I chose my birthday presents from my parents. A "Restore the Shore" charm bracelet, and a "CM NJ" charm for my Pandora bracelet. At Across the Way I picked up a bungalow 360 bunny pattern wristlet and four little buttons. I stopped at A Place on Earth and got "I Want Candy" soap scrub as well as a bar of soap in that scent for me, and one to mail to Mary for her birthday - Sunday,the same as me!

Restore the Shore Bracelet

I came home, and Michael was watching How I Met Your Mother, so I watched it with him for a little while. After mom and dad came home, we had a snack and worked on unpacking all the glass and other items we brought up from Virginia. We did that for a good hour. We were getting ready to go out to dinner, when the power went off! Dad fiddled with the breakers, but it wasn't anything we could do. And our next door neighbor to the left had power, but to the right they didn't. Cape May has some sketchy power grids. We found out that 260 people on the grid didn't have power - from our neighbor Gino. We had to regroup.

In the basement, a present to one of the owners of the house.

It's a little light up "winter wonderland evergreen tree" and dad got a blue bulb for it!

We ordered dinner - cheesesteaks, onion rings, salad and sprite zeros from Louie's. While we were waiting for it, we drove around and looked at Christmas lights. Pretty! We debated as to whether the house would be so cold, we might need to check into a hotel. We went to Louie's and ate dinner. We noticed there were fire trucks and utility trucks up on Beach Drive, so we asked a worker what had happened. He said a car had hit a telephone pole head on. Oy vey. DON'T DRINK or TEXT or DISTRACTED DRIVE! Of course, we don't know if that's a factor.

We drove around some more, drove by the Cove beach and saw how totally washed away it had been. So sad. We came back to the house and the power was back on.  Yay! Heat! It's very cold out. I made a birthday card for Mary and finished my scrapbook that I'm gifting to my cousins tomorrow. The power went out briefly for about five minutes before coming back on. Ay caramba - make up your mind, on or off!

We had egg nog, peppermint ice cream from our friends at Bliss and called it a night. Tomorrow we will hopefully make it up to the beach.

xo,
capemaychick

No comments:

Post a Comment