Thursday, December 27, 2012

Winter wonderland

I have been waiting all my life to go to Cape May in the winter. I have also always wanted to spend my birthday in Cape May. Well guess what? WISHES GRANTED!

Ever since we bought the beach house, I have been thrilled that we can go up off season. But with school in October, I didn't get to go when mom and dad went. Neither did Michael. But that was okay because they were cleaning up and doing a lot of reorganizing and some decorating.

But today is December 27 and we are leaving for Cape May in an hour and a half! We were supposed to leave yesterday, but snow kept us at home. I was not amused.

I couldn't even grasp the beauty of the first snowfall, I was really bummed.
So we had a do-nothing day at home. I watched A Dennis the Mennis Christmas Story in the morning. I spent some time watching Psych, took a shower. We had a  yummy hor d'oeuves lunch. Then I spent about 4 hours (AKA the rest of the afternoon) scrapbooking, and mom did some too. The car had already been packed, since we were supposed to leave on the 26, so we really had nothing to do but relax.

I finished our second Cape May trip and started working on the December trip pages. Three trips to Cape May in one year for me, a record! We're hoping to start the day off by leaving at 10 am. We're going to an antique store in Annapolis. One in Denton. Stopping at Holly's for some noms after going over the Bay Bridge. Then we're going to stop in Bridgeville to go to Antique's Alley and visit kitty Diode. And then we'll have dinner at Jimmy's! Our ferry is the last one, at 7:45 pm SO LATE. It will get us there around 9:15 pm.

It will be a late night, since we have to get all the beds ready when we get there and probably all want to take showers. And I get the lovely honor of sleeping in the room downstairs (NEVER have any of us slept there - our rooms are all upstairs) because my room is in the midst of getting painted! Woohoo! My room at home in VA will be the same paint color as my room in NJ! The color is belize, and it is a beautiful blue hue. Perfect beach house colors.

So my room downstairs has a full size bed and a 1/2 bath attached. My own bathroom! It's the bathroom we usually used when we're downstairs, but I told my fam it's off limits since I'm staying in the room. Take your business elsewhere, please!

So I have to get dressed, take the rest of my luggage downstairs and then Michael and I are heading off to Target to get some last minute clothes, legoes and photo printing done.

Cheerio, talk to you from the Victorian Winter Wonderland! We will be there until Sunday December 30 - my 19th birthday (see, told you about getting to spend my birthday there, finally).

xo,
capemaychick

***Arrival update:

We did get out of the house at 10:46 am. Only forty six minutes later than we had intended (side note -- I think I've lost even more eye sight. I need to wear my glasses while writing this on my lap top). We made good time the whole trip. Stopped in Annapolis and I got a glass cat for $3.  We had lunch at Holly's and they were not up to their usual service, slow and our order came out somewhat wrong.

We stopped in Denton and Michael and I stayed in the car. We stopped in Georgetown and mom got these little dishes called shrimp boats. They will be awesome to eat sushi out of, at home. Then we went to the big Bridgeville antique store that always takes us an hour. Also because they have a cat there named Diode - he is 17 and is clearly up there in years. We brought him treats and a mousie. We made out like bandits there. Michael got three mini hess trucks, mom and dad got 6 egg nog cups, a tacky clock, an apple jar and I got a yellow cat planter, wonderbread post card and a DC bracelet.

Aftewards we took a "detour" to see what was in Atlanta, Delaware. Um...NOTHING but two sitting cows. So we turned around (we had had time to kill) and headed to Jimmy's for dinner. It was good, but I think Holly's is better. Fried chicken is always good though! We got pie there to eat on the ferry - which we went to straight from Jimmy's - but oh man, it was cold, windy = ROCKING FERRY. None of us could eat pie. In fact, my dad and I were both nauseous after half of the trip. Easily the worst trip we took on the ferry. We got to CM and stopped at Wawa for breakfast staples.

We got to the house. The driveway was a big puddle and we could hear the sump pumps working. The basement had a small flood. #beachhouseproblems. I think it seemed like it took care of itself.

All the changes my parents had made to the house are AWESOME! Some of the paint is up and it looks fantastic. We made beds, looked at the stuff we bought and around the house. We ate our pie and then headed to bed. It's now a quarter after midnight and I'm exhausted. Off to bed, looking forward to our first day of a Cape May winter!

xo,
capemaychick

No comments:

Post a Comment